- Production manager The Richmond (Virginia) Mercury, 1972-1973. Curatorial intern Museum Modern Art, New York City, 1974-1975, associate curator, 1981-1986, curator, 1986-1991, chief curator, since 1991.
- Painted Journeys: The Art of John Mix Stanley (The Charles M. Russell Center Series on Art and Photography of the American West)
- Artist-explorer John Mix Stanley (1814–1872), one of the most celebrated chroniclers of the American West in his time, was in a sense a victim of his own success.
- Silver Cities: Photographing American Urbanization, 1839-1939, Revised and Expanded Edition
- First published in 1984, Silver Cities rapidly became a classic in the history of photography and in the then-nascent field of visual culture studies.
- Before Photography: Painting and the Invention of Photography
- Dust jacket notes: "The invention of photography was one of the most important cultural and artistic events of the nineteenth century.
- Corot in Italy: Open-Air Painting and the Classical-Landscape Tradition
- Arriving in Rome in 1825, Corot spent three years painting and drawing the landscape nearby.
Born April 18, 1951
1972 - 1973
1974 - 1975
1986 - 1991