Kazan’ University in psychiatry, 1925. Director and chief doctor at the V. Serbskii Institute of Criminal Psychiatry, Moscow, 1950-1951. Dean of the Psychiatry Department of the Institute for the Improvement of Medical Qualifications, Moscow, 1951-1964.
At the same time Director of the Institute of Psychiatry of the Academy of Medical Sciences. In his official capacity, responsible for putting many sane people into psychiatric institutions for their political views. His connections with the Committee for State Security have been well documented by many Western and Russian researchers.
Honorary member of the International Association of Psychiatrists from 1972 and at one time foreign member of the Royal College of Psychiatry (UK). Under international pressure and following many protests, resigned. Retired and lives in Moscow.