Settled in New York City, 1865. Won architectural competitions for 1st Unitarian Church, Springfield, Massachusetts, Episcopal Church, West Medford, Massachusetts, 1866. Brattle Street Church, Boston, 1870, Trinity Church, Boston, 1872.
Partner with Charles D. Gambrill, 1867-1878. Appointed (with Leopold Eidlitz and Frederick Law Olmstead) to complete building and grounds New York State Capitol, 1876. Moved office to Brookline, Massachusetts, 1878.
Principal works include: shingled summer cottage of Review P. Browne, Marion, Massachusetts (best domestic work), 1881. Library, Quincy, Massachusetts, 1880, Sever Hall, Harvard, 1878, Austin Hall, Harvard, 1881, Cincinnati Chamber of Commerce. Building, 1885, Marshall Field Building, Chicago, 1885, series of stations for Boston & Albany R.R., from Auburndale to Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts, 1885, Billings Library, U. Vermont, Burlington, 1833, Conversse Library, Malden, Massachusetts, 1883, Baptist Church, Newton, Massachusetts, 1884, Bagley Memorial Fountains, Detroit, Glessner home, Chicago, homes of Henry Adams and John Hay, Washington, District of Columbia.
Fellow American International Assurance, American Academy Arts and Sciences, Archeological Institute American. Elected honorary and corresponding member Royal Institute British Architects, 1885. Set Eastern Architectural fashions, 1880-1893, style lost precedence after “renaissance” of classicism began, 1893.