Specializes in residence and suburban architecture, including gardens and country estates. Has written extensively for mags. upon architectural and kindred subjects. Editor The Architectural Review, 1907-1919.
Designer of book plates, book covers and stage settings for plays since 1916. Lecturer on Architecture, Boston University Summer school and Teachers’ Classes since 1921. Lecturer on theatre and stage settings, Emerson College of Oratory, 1931.
Instructor in architecture, Massachusetts State School of Art. Architectural consultant, Boston City Planning Board. National Park Service, Branch Plans and Design, Department Interior.
District administrator Federal Historic American buildings Survey, Massachusetts and New England, since 1934. Instructor architecture, history of theatre and scenic design. Massachusetts University Extension, 1935-1940.
Contributing editor The Architectural Record, 1921-1926.
Author: Letters and Lettering, 1902. The Orders of Architecture (with F. A. Bourne), 1904. Book Plate Designs, 1905.
New England Colonial Houses, 1915. The Brick House, 1919. Modern English Churches, 1917, 1923.
Modern English Country Houses, 1923. Architectural Design and Lettering (with Herman Ritow), 1928. Contributor to Pencil Points and The Monograph Series—Records of Early American Architecture.
Associate editor: Monograph Series since 1937. Editor: Old-Time New England, since 1945.