Allan Edwin Shields, American writer, educator, photographer. Mudd fellow in philosophy University Southern California, 1948-1949. Board directors San Diego Symphony. Served with United States Army Air Force, 1942-1945; Member American Society for Aesthetics (trustee), Phi Beta Kappa, Phi Kappa Phi, Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia (honorary).
Professor philosophy San Diego State University, 1949-1968, 70-78. Emeritus professor San Diego State College, since 1978. Dean College Humanities and Fine Arts University Northern Iowa, 1968-1970.
Owner, public Jerseydale Ranch Press, 1992-1998. Seasonal ranger naturalist National Park Service, Yosemite National Park, 1955-1960. Freelance writer, photographer, since 1978.
Violinist-violist, frequent recitalist. Member, sometime concertmaster Merced Symphony Orchestra, California, 1979-1991. Founder, with wife, Jerseydale Ranch Press, 1992.
- Tuolumne Profile Yosemite
- This is a series of woodcuts by Richard Shields with explanatory text by Allan Shields about the key highlights of the peaks and natural features of the Tuolumne Meadows and greater Tuolumne area in and around Yosemite National Park
- Mariposa now and then
- Mariposa's history is ancient, for its past extends at least 10,000 years, when the First People populated the land, lived in peace with unreconstructed nature, were overtaken by settlers between 1848 and 1850, then were decimated.
- Dream temple and other visions
- Ruth Evelyn Dirks died October 7, 1996, leaving a rich legacy of carefully crafted poetry gathered in this anthology, a memorial from her art professor husband, John Dirks, dedicated to her two sons.
- The Tragedy of Tenaya : A Yosemite Indian Story
- The Tragedy of Tenaya is a novella about the displacement of the Yosemite Indians by the early pioneer settlers in the middle of the nineteenth century.
Born July 3, 1919
1949 - 1968
1968 - 1970
1992 - 1998