Adlai Ewing Stevenson, former United States representative to the United Nations, lawyer. Recipient Distinguished Service award, United States Navy, 1945; Ben Franklin Magazine award, 1953; Merit award Decalogue Society Lawyers, 1952; Notre Dame U. Patriotism award 1963; George Foster Peabody Broadcasting award, 1963; Woodrow Wilson award Princeton University, 1963; fellow Worcester College, Oxford, Morse College, Yale.
- Bachelor of Arts, Princeton, 1922, Doctor of Laws, 1954. Juris Doctor, Northwestern University, 1926, Doctor of Laws, 1946. Honorary degs. Doctor of Civil Law, Doctor of Laws, Doctor of Letters, Doctor of Humane Letters from Oxford, Harvard, Columbia, Amherst, University of California and many other American and foreign colls. universities.
Began as reporter, editor Daily Pantagraph, Bloomington, Illinois. Admitted to Illinois bar, 1926, and practiced, Chicago, 1927-1933. Special counsel American Automobile Association, Washington, 1933-1934.
Partner firm of Sidley, Austin, Burgess & Smith, Chicago, 1935-1941. Assistant to secretary of navy, Washington, 1941-1944. Chief Economics Mission to Italy, 1943, War Department Mission to Europe, 1944.
Assistant to secretary of state, Washington, 1945. Adviser United States delegation Conference on International Organisation, San Francisco, 1945. United States minister, chief of the United States delegation Preparatory communications of United Nations, London.
1945; United States delegate General Assembly of United Nations, New York, 1946, 47. Governor of Illinois, 1949-1953. Practice of law, 1955-1960.
Senior partner Stevenson, Rifkind & Wirtz, Chicago, also Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton and Garrison, New York. United States representative to United Nations, 1961-1965. Democratic candidate for President of the United States, 1952, 56.
Assistant to Secretary of State, 1957. Member President’s Cabinet, 1960-1965. Trustee or director numerous companies and philanthropic and educational orgns.
Trustee emeritus University of Illinois. Chairman Eleanor Roosevelt Memorial Foundation.