2d, Hallie, d. Senator Henry Gassaway Davis, April 14, 1875. Admitted to bar, 1864. Went to New Mexico, 1864.
Member territorial legislature, 1864-1865. Later territorial district attorney, attorney general, 1868-1869, and United States district attorney, 1870-1872. Delegate in 43d and 44th Congresses, from New Mexico, 1873-1877.
Removed to West Virginia Became largely interested in coal mining and railroads. Founded town of Elkins, West Virginia Secretary of War in cabinet of President Harrison, 1891-1893. United States senator from West Virginia, 1895-1901, 1901-1907, 1907-1913.
Home: Elkins, West Virginia.
|Yuliya Yefimchik||last changed||17/05/2017||view changes|
- Other Names
- Spelling variants for First Name
- Spelling variants for Last/Family/Name
- Middle Name
- United States
- elected almost immediately to territorial legislature 1864_67 , territorial district attorney 1866_67 , United States district attorney 1867_70 , territorial delegate to Congress 1873_77
Sarah Pickett (Withers) Elkins
Colonel Philip Duncan Elkins
- Sarah Pickett (Withers) Elkins
- Religious beliefs
- Views and World outlook
- Party affiliation description
- Favorite Sports & Clubs
- Favorite Athletes
- Ethnicity details
- College/University Description
- Favorite Political Figures
- Favorite Philosophers & Thinkers
- Favorite Music & Bands
- Favorite writers
- Favorite Artists
- Other interests
- Quotes from others about the person
- Physical Characteristics
up Edit Profile