Stanley Jasspon Kunitz, American poet, editor, educator. With Army of the United States, 1943-1945. Member Academy American Poets (fellowship award 1968, chancellor 1970-1995); member American Academy of Arts and Letters (secretary 1985-1988), Poets House New York (founding president 1985-1990), Fine Arts Work Center in Provincetown (founding member, board directors 1968-2006, medal for distinguished service in arts 1997), Phi Beta Kappa.
AB summa cum laude, Harvard University, 1926. Master of Arts, Harvard University, 1927. Doctor of Letters (honorary), Clark University, 1961.
Doctor of Letters (honorary), Anna Maria College, 1977. Doctor of Letters (honorary), St. Mary's College, Maryland, 1994. Doctor of Humane Letters (honorary), Worcester State College, 1980.
Doctor of Humane Letters (honorary), State University of New York, Brockport, 1987.
Editor Wilson Library Bulletin, 1928-1943. Literature faculty Bennington College, 1946-1949. Professor English Potsdam (New York ) State Teachers College, 1949-1950.
Director seminar Potsdam Summer Workshop in Creative Arts, 1949-1953. Lecturer The New School, 1950-1957. Visiting professor poetry University Washington, 1955-1956.
Visiting professor English Queens College, 1956-1957, Brandeis University, 1958-1959. Director poetry workshop Poetry Center Young Men’s Hebrew Association, New York, 1958-1962. Danforth visiting lecturer various American colleges, 1961-1963.
Lecturer Columbia University, 1963-1966, adjunct professor writing Graduate School Arts, 1967-1985. Editor Yale Series Younger Poets, 1969-1977. Visiting professor poetry Yale University, 1970, Rutgers University at Camden, 1974.
Visiting professor, senior fellow in humanities Princeton University, 1978, Vassar College, 1981. Consultant poetry Library. of Congress, 1974-1976. Founder Fine Arts Work Center, Provincetown, Massachusetts, Poets House, New York City.
- Abelard and Heloise: The Letters and Other Writings (Hackett Classics)
- The most comprehensive compilation of the works of Abelard and Heloise ever presented in a single volume in English, The Letters and Other Writings features an accurate and stylistically faithful new translation of both The Calamities of Peter Abelard and the remarkable letters it sparked between the ill-fated twelfth-century philosopher and his brilliant former student and lover—an exchange whose intellectual passion, formal virtuosity, and psychological drama distinguish it as one of the most extraordinary correspondences in European history.
- [ [ [ The Wild Braid: A Poet Reflects on a Century in the Garden[ THE WILD BRAID: A POET REFLECTS ON A CENTURY IN THE GARDEN ] By Kunitz, Stanley ( Author )Apr-01-2007 Paperback
- The Wild Braid: A Poet Reflects on a Century in the Garden [ The Wild Braid: A Poet Reflects on a Century in the Garden by Kunitz, Stanley ( Author ) Paperback Apr- 2007 ] Paperback Apr- 01- 2007
- Interviews and Encounters with Stanley Kunitz
- In these interviews, conducted for the most part by leading young poets, we are given the full range of his thinking, his passion and wisdom, his private and public concerns.
- Bernard Shaw Before His First Play: The Embryo Playwright (1880-1920 British Authors)
- Tho' with great difficulty I am got hither, yet now I do not repent me of all the trouble I have been to arrive where I am.
With Army of the United States, 1943-1945. Member Academy American Poets (fellowship award 1968, chancellor 1970-1995). Member American Academy of Arts and Letters (secretary 1985-1988), Poets House New York (founding president 1985-1990), Fine Arts Work Center in Provincetown (founding member, board directors 1968-2006, medal for distinguished service in arts 1997), Phi Beta Kappa.
Born July 29, 1905
1928 - 1943
1946 - 1949
1949 - 1950
1949 - 1953
1950 - 1957
1955 - 1956
1956 - 1957
1958 - 1962
1958 - 1959
1961 - 1963
- show more ...