Junior curator Gutenberg Museum, Mainz, Germany, 1927-1929. Curator rare books Columbia University, 1930-1937, assistant professor books arts, 1937-1950. Visiting lecturer Smith College, 1939-1941.
Visiting professor University Illinois, 1940. Research principal (Rockefeller Foundation grant) New School Social Research, 1950-1952. Bibliographical lecturer Pratt Institute, 1954-1955, research principal (Rockefeller grant) 1956.
Bibliographical consultant H.P. Kraus, rare books and mss., 1952-1968. Research associate history science and and medicine Yale, 1965-1967. Professor bibliography, consultant rare books University Missouri, 1969-1974, professor emeritus, 1974-1992.
Deputy chief German policy desk Office of War Information, London, 1944-1945. With information control division Supreme Headquarters Allied Expeditionary Forces , Germany, 1945.
- The Biology Book: From the Origin of Life to Epigenetics, 250 Milestones in the History of Biology (Sterling Milestones)
- From the emergence of life, to Leewenhoek's microscopic world, to GMO crops, The Biology Book presents 250 landmarks in the most widely studied scientific field.
- One hundred books about bookmaking;: A guide to the study and appreciation of printing
- Third and last edition, expanded from his 70 Books About Bookmaking.
- One Hundred Books about Bookmaking: A Guide to the Study and Appreciation of Printing
- Book by Lehmann-Haupt, Hellmut
- GUTENBERG AND THE MASTER OF THE PLAYING CARDS.
- First edition.
Born October 4, 1903