Eric Bentley, British writer, playwright, educator. Subject (book): The Play and Its Critic: Essays for Eric Bentley, University Press of America, 1986; entire first issue magazine Theatre Three, Carnegie Mellon University, 1986, dedicated to Eric Bentley. Member American Academy Arts and Sciences, American Academy Arts and Letters.
Bachelor, Oxford University, England, 1938. Bachelor of Letters, Oxford University, 1939. Doctor of Philosophy, Yale University, 1941.
Doctor of Fine Arts, University Wisconsin, 1975. Doctor of Letters (honorary), University East Anglia, 1979. Doctor of Humane Letters, New School Social Research, 1992.
Brander Matthews professor dramatic literature Columbia University, 1953-1969. Dramatic critic The New Republic, 1952-1956. Norton professor poetry Harvard University, 1960-1961.
Artist in residence Ford Foundation, Berlin, 1964-1965. Katharine Cornell professor theatre State University of New York-Buffalo, 1974-1982. Professor comparative literature University Maryland, College Park, 1982-1989.
- The Kleist Variations: Three Plays
- Winner of 2006 International Association of Theatre Critics Thalia Prize Winner of 2006 Village Voice OBIE Awards Lifetime Achievement Award In this collection, Eric Bentley presents Concord, a comedy adapted from Kleist's The Broken Jug; The Fall of the Amazons, a tragedy written in response to Kleist's Penthesilea; and Wannsee, a tragic-comedy which is Bentley's rendering of Kleist's Cathy of Heilbronn.
- From the Modern Repertoire Series One
- Includes de Musset's "Fantasio," Buchner's "Danton's Death," Becque's "La Parisienne," Schnitzler's "Round Dance," Sterheim's "The Snob," Eliot's "Sweeney Agonistes," Brecht's "The Threepenny Opera," Lorca's "The Love of Don Perlimplin and Belisa in the Garden," Cocteau's "The Infernal Machine," and Yeats' "A Full Moon in March," with Bentley's notes on each.
- Monstrous Martyrdoms: Three Plays
- Winner of 2006 International Association of Theatre Critics Thalia Prize Recipient of 2007 The Robert Chesley Foundation Lifetime Achievement Award in Playwriting Winner of 2006 Village Voice OBIE Awards Lifetime Achievement Award "The road will be red with monstrous martyrdoms, but we shall win.
- Smoke It Like a Pro on the Big Green Egg & Other Ceramic Cookers: An Independent Guide with Master Recipes from a Competition Barbecue Team--Includes Smoking, Grilling and Roasting Techniques
- Make the Best Barbecue Out There In Smoke It Like a Pro, barbecue pitmaster, Eric Mitchell, teaches you how to smoke, grill, roast, cure, fry and sear unbelievable, melt-in-your-mouth barbecue dishes that will blow your competition out of the water and make you the talk of the block.
1952 - 1956
1953 - 1969
1960 - 1961
1964 - 1965
1974 - 1982
1982 - 1989
- show more ...