Member of Historians of Civil War Western Theater (co-founder, co-executive director since 1998), Society Civil War Historians, Southern Historical Association, Society Mississippi Archivists (president 1997), Association Centers for Study of Congress, Mississippi Historical Society (member board director, member editorial review board, member board publications, Dunbar Rowland award 2006), Phi Kappa Phi, Phi Alpha Theta.
- Archivist Western Carolina Library., Cullowhee, North Carolina, 1979—1980, Mississippi State University Library., since 1983. Appointed to advisory committee Records of United States Congress, 2001—2003.
- Civil War Mississippi: A Guide
- In the Civil War Mississippi experienced a protracted and devastating invasion, and Confederate and Union armies fought fiercely at Corinth, Holly Springs, Iuka, Port Gibson, Vicksburg, and many other sites throughout the state.
- Vicksburg: The Campaign That Opened the Mississippi (Civil War America)
- Michael Ballard provides a concise yet thorough study of the 1863 battle that cut off a crucial river port and rail depot for the South and split the Confederate nation, providing a turning point in the Civil War.
- Pemberton: A Biography
- New in paperback, the first biography of the Confederate general branded as incompetent for surrendering the South's strategic river post to Grant It was the sad fate of General John C.
- Maroon and White: Mississippi State University, 1878-2003
- Mississippi State University was founded in 1878 and opened its doors in 1880 as a land-grant school de-signed for teaching agriculture and mechanical arts.
1979 - 1980