Art. assistant Leicester (England) Museum Art Gallery, 1970-1971, Durham (England) Light Infantry Museum and Arts Gallery, 1971-1972. Keeper Mappin Art Gallery, Sheffield, England, 1972-1976. Deputy director arts Sheffield City Council, 1976-1982, director arts, 1982-1985.
Director Manchester (England) City Art Galleries, 1985-1989. Acting director National Museum Labour History, Manchester, 1987-1988. Director Glasgow (Scotland) Museum, 1989-1998.
Research fellow National Museum, Denmark, 1999-2000. Founder Campaign for Drawing, since 2000. Director Niki De Saint Phalle Foundation, 1994-2001.
- The Poetic Museum: Reviving Historic Collections (Art & Design)
- In the rush to modernize, this book argues, some museums have replaced almost all their collections with interactive exhibits and computers, while others have put everything they can on display, turning their museums into pastiche cabinets of curiosity.
- The Art of Wonder: A History of Seeing
- Destined to become an indispensable classic, this fresh and invigorating guide to appreciating the world's art encourages readers to trust their own instincts, tastes, eyes and experiences.
- The Eclipse of Art: Tackling the Crisis in Art Today
- An exploration of the modern public's alienation from contemporary art, by outspoken critic Julian Spalding.
Born June 15, 1947
1970 - 1971
1971 - 1972
1972 - 1976
1985 - 1989
1987 - 1988
1989 - 1998
- show more ...