Ron Schuler has been an attorney in the Pittsburgh region for more than 25 years, has served as a senior operating officer of a $100+ million regional oil and gas company, and has been recognized as a working contributor to many of the region’s economic development initiatives. A native of Southern California, Schuler is a graduate of Pomona College and Cornell Law School. He began his career as an associate at the firm of Buchanan Ingersoll, practicing in the areas of corporate finance, public offerings, venture capital, technology matters, and mergers and acquisitions. He has been recognized in The Best Lawyers in America for corporate law and in Chambers USA - America's Leading Lawyers for Business for Corporate M&A/Private Equity, and has earned an AV ("preeminent") peer review rating through Martindale-Hubbell. For seven years, Schuler was a lead member of the team that represented the City of Pittsburgh with regard to its relationship with the Pittsburgh Pirates baseball club and the planning and construction of PNC Park, and was the author of the Forbes Field II Task Force Final Report (1996), which articulated the urban planning justification for the location of the ballpark.
As a shareholder at Buchanan, Schuler was the founding co-chair of the firm’s Biotechnology Group and worked half-time in the firm’s London office. He left Buchanan in 2003 to help launch the Pittsburgh corporate group of the Virginia-based law firm of McGuireWoods; and in 2005, he joined PGMT Energy as senior vice president for corporate development, where he helped to lead the sale of the company to EXCO Resources for $115 million. He has served on numerous boards and public committees, including on the advisory council of the McGowan Institute for Regenerative Medicine; the Pennsylvania Governor’s Life Sciences Greenhouse Committee; the technology advisory committee of the Pittsburgh Life Sciences Greenhouse; the board of directors of JURIST, an online legal news service; and the board of directors of the University of Connecticut Foundation Research & Development Corporation. In 2001, he was named by the Pittsburgh Business Times as one of 25 “Changemakers” who have made significant contributions to the region's business and civic enterprises.
Schuler currently serves as Member-in-Charge of the Pittsburgh office of Spilman, Thomas & Battle, a Charleston, West Virginia-based firm. He was recently named Best Lawyers' 2015 Pittsburgh Mergers and Acquisitions Law "Lawyer of the Year," and was included in the Pittsburgh Business Times' "Who's Who in Energy" for 2014 and 2015.
Schuler has been a frequent writer and lecturer on topics relating to the history of Pittsburgh, and in particular, its Bar. In May 2002, he was the keynote speaker at the annual dinner of the Pittsburgh Chapter of the Academy of Trial Lawyers, telling tales of Pittsburgh lawyers from 1788 to 1900, and has been one of the presenters at the Federal Bar Association’s annual “Whiskey Rebellion” CLE program. He served as the unofficial historian of Buchanan Ingersoll during the early 1990s, compiling oral histories of retired Pittsburgh lawyers who began their practices as early as the 1920s, and writing a eight-part serial history of the firm from 1850 to the 1920s. In addition to scholarly legal publications, his pop history writings have been featured in such diverse publications as the Tulsa GeoSpectrum, the Noir City Sentinel, the Spanish literary journal Yareah and the Society for American Baseball Research's BIO Project.
• Practiced corporate, M&A, venture capital and securities law for almost 30 years in Pittsburgh and London, UK.
• Served as advisor to Mayor of Pittsburgh and lead negotiator on the location, funding, construction and leasing of PNC Park, home of the Pirates baseball club (1993-2001).
• Served as senior operating and chief administrative officer of a $100M+ regional oil & gas exploration and production company; sold in 2006.
• Co-founder and chairman of community-supported jazz radio station (WZUM-AM/FM).
• Managing partner of Pittsburgh office of a regional 100+ lawyer firm (2011-present).
• Named "Pittsburgh M&A Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers in America (2015).
• Author, THE STEEL BAR: PITTSBURGH LAWYERS AND THE MAKING OF MODERN AMERICA (2017).
• Host, "Grand Baseball Tour of Pittsburg(.)," a tour of historical baseball sites around Pittsburgh (2015-present).
• Literary works-in-progress: ANGELENOS: A FAMILY TALE, creative non-fiction work set in L.A.'s Golden Age; SIX BALLPARKS: 150 YEARS OF URBAN SPACES AND BASEBALL IN PITTSBURGH.
- Yareah Magazine, Issue 13, December 2009
Corporate Reorganization in the 1990s: Guiding Directors of Troubled Corporations Through Uncertain Territory
- Co-written with Lewis U Davis, Jr, M Bruce McCullough and Eleanor P McNulty; The Business Lawyer, Vol 47, No 1 (November 1991), pp.
Top Legal Issues for European Clients Targeting a U.S. Acquisition
- Co-written with James Baldwin and Sara Mansuri; Bloomberg BNA Mergers & Acquisitions Law Report, 18 MALR 107, 01/19/2015.
Born February, 1963