Madeleine Stowe was born at the Queen of Angels Hospital, in Hollywood, Los Angeles, California and raised in Eagle Rock, a suburb of Los Angeles. Her father, Robert Stowe, was a civil engineer from a "poor Oregon family", but her mother, Mireya (née Mora Steinvorth), came from a prominent family in Costa Rica.
- Stowe studied cinema and journalism at the University of Southern California. Not being especially interested in her classes, she volunteered to do performances at the Solaris, a Beverly Hills theater, where a movie agent saw her in a play and got her several offers of appearances in TV and films. In 1978, she made her debut in an episode in the police drama series Baretta, followed by a string of TV work with guest appearances on The Amazing Spider-Man, Barnaby Jones and Little House on the Prairie.
In Mohicans, she was genuinely brave, and per- suasivelv moved by her Hawkeye. Mann’s camera homed in on her bold, frontal stare, her nostrils twitching like a fine mare’s. Unlawful Entry (Jonathan Kaplan) was more conventional, but she was one of many admirable women in Short Cuts (Robert Altman) though, wry, shrewd, and credibly trapped in a tricky life. In Blink (Michael Apted), she was a rugged Irish violin-player who was blind; in truth, she was more interesting that way than with her sight restored. But she made a slight premise intriguing. She has also done China Moon (John Bailey); and Bad Girls (Kaplan).
She has tended to be a hanger-on in her more recent pictures: Twelve Monkeys (Terr) Gilliam); The Proposition (Lesli Linka Clatter); Playing by Heart (98, Willard Carroll); The General’s Daughter (Simon West); Impostor (Gary Fleder); Avenging Angelo (Martyn Burke); as Isabelle in the TV The Magnificent Ambersons (Alfonso Arau); We Were Soldiers (Randall Wallace).
- The Last of the Mohicans Director's Definitive Cut: Daniel Day-Lewis, Madeleine Stowe, Jodhi May, Michael Mann: Amazon Digital Services LLC
- Buy The Last of the Mohicans Director's Definitive Cut: Read 764 Movies & TV Reviews - Amazon.
- The Last of the Mohicans: Madeleine Stowe, Daniel Day-Lewis, Russell Means, Michael Mann
- Buy The Last of the Mohicans: Read 808 Movies & TV Reviews - Amazon.
- The General's Daughter: John Travolta, Madeleine Stowe, James Cromwell, Timothy Hutton: Amazon Digital Services LLC
- Buy The General's Daughter: Read 1139 Movies & TV Reviews - Amazon.
- Playing by Heart: Dennis Quaid, Gena Rowlands, Madeleine Stowe, Jay Mohr: Amazon Digital Services LLC
- Buy Playing by Heart: Read 242 Movies & TV Reviews - Amazon.