(G. P. Ling)
Cheng-ping Ling was a Chinese advertising director.
Mr. Ling was born in Foochow, Fukien, China in 1896.
Cheng-ping Ling received his early education at the Anglo-Chinese College in his native city. Then he passed the competitive examination given by the Fukien provincial authorities in 1910 and was sent the following year to Tains Hua College in Peking to study.
After graduating from Tsing Hua in 1916, he was sent on a Boxer Indemnity scholarship to the United States for higher education. Mr. Lin also attended the University of Rochester, New York, and was graduated with highest honors in 1918.
He finished his post-graduate work at Columbia, where he received his Master of Arts degree and later attended New York University, specializing in psychology and advertising.
Cheng-ping Ling was elected to both Phi Beta Kappa and Delta Upsilon. Then he returned to China in 1922 and had since become one of the leading members of the advertising profession. From 1919 to 1922, he was connected with several advertising agencies in New York and from 1922 to 1926 he served in the Commercial Press, Ltd. as manager of the China Publicity Company, and as manager of Commercial Press, Hongkew Branch.
In 1926, he resigned from the Commercial Press, Ltd., and founded the China Commercial Advertising Agency, of which he was proprietor and general manager. That agency was in close touch with over 100 publications in China, and directs the advertising compaigns in this country for a number of well-known manufacturers, both local and abroad. During the past four years, he had been a lecturer on advertising at the Downtown School of Commerce, University of Shanghai.
In the years 1931-1933, Mr. Ling served as a director of the Bakerite Company, Ltd., Inc., U.S.A. He was a member of the Shanghai Bankers' Club, American University Club, Pan-Pacific Association and other social organizations.