David Archie Dary, American journalism educator, author. Member Oklahoma History Society (board directors 1990-1993), Kansas State History Society (board directors 1972-1991), Western History Association, Westerners International (president 1986-1989), Western Writers American (president 1988-1992), Masons, Kappa Tau Alpha.
Reporter, editor Columbia Broadcasting System News, Washington, 1960-1963. Manager local news NBC News, 1963-1967. Director public affairs Kansas Republican State Committee, Topeka, 1968.
Member faculty University Kansas, Lawrence, 1969-1989, professor journalism, 1970-1989. Director H.H. Herbert School Journalism, University Oklahoma, Norman, 1989-2000. Retired, 2000
Consultant broadcast journalism, since 1967.
- Cowboy Culture: A Saga of Five Centuries: 1st (First) Edition
- The culture of the western United States, which many consider the epitome of American-ness, is in origin a synthesis of Anglo and Hispanic cultures which was created in Texas in the days of the Texas Republic and spread with the trail herds to what is now the western United States (and Canada).
- The Oregon Trail: An American Saga
- In today's world of jet airplanes and smooth highways, it is nearly impossible to imagine the hardships faced by the thousands of people who headed west along the great Oregon Trail.
- Buffalo Book: The Full Saga of the American Animal
- The journals and memoirs of 19th century explorers and travelers in the American West often told of viewing buffalo massed together as far as the eye could see.
- More True Tales of Old-Time Kansas
- "Rollicking, adventurous, touching" is how American West magazine described David Dary's first collection of stories, True Tales of Old-Time Kansas.
Born August 21, 1934
1960 - 1963
1963 - 1967
1969 - 1989
- show more ...