Executive director Ahtna Indian Heritage Foundation, Glennallen, Alaska, since 1996. Assistant cubmaster Boy Scouts American, Anchorage, 1994-1996. With United States Army Reserve, 1981-1983.
Assistant professor University Alaska, Anchorage, 1991-1994, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Anchorage, since 1994. President, chief editor Salmon Run Public, since 1991. Distinguished professor Gorky Institute, Moscow, 1994.
Visiting American poet University Sydney, Australia, 1996, London, 1998. Poetry editor Rosebud magazine, Cambridge, Wisconsin, since 1996.
- The Broken Branch: How Congress Is Failing America and How to Get It Back on Track (Institutions of American Democracy Series)
- The Broken Branch offers both a brilliant diagnosis of the cause of Congressional decline and a much-needed blueprint for change, from two experts who understand politics and revere our institutions, but believe that Congress has become deeply dysfunctional.
- In the Shadow of the Mountain
- An aging Vietnam veteran reflects on his life and the effects of that controversial war in this story of intrigue and adventure set in the early 1970s deep in the Gila Wilderness and the small, sleepy town of Silver City, New Mexico.
- The Raven and the Totem: Traditional Alaska Native Myths and Tales
- With over 60 myths and legends from 20 Alaska Native groups, this is the single most comprehensive collection of Alaska Native traditional stories/narratives in existence! beautifully illustrated (maps included).
- The Art of Migration: Birds, Insects, and the Changing Seasons in Chicagoland
- Tiny ruby-throated hummingbirds weighing less than a nickel fly from the upper Midwest to Costa Rica every fall, crossing the six-hundred-mile Gulf of Mexico without a single stop.