Robert Forster, American history professor. Franch Government fellow, 1953-1955; Social Scr. Research Council fellow France, 1962, 64; Guggenheim fellow Paris, 1969-1970; National Endowment of the Humanities fellow, 1983-1984; recipient Prix Gaussail Academy Toulouse, 1954, Chevalier de l'Ordre des Palmes Academiques award French Government, 1994; named Honorary Citizen Vieillevigne, France, 1977; Doctor Honoris Causa, Toulouse, 1985.
Instructor modern European history Johns Hopkins University, 1956-1957. Bissing fellow University Toulouse, France, 1957-1958. Assistant professor University Nebraska, 1958-1962.
Associate professor Dartmouth, 1962-1965. Professor history Johns Hopkins, 1966-1996, professor emeritus, since 1996. Fellow Institute for Advanced Study, Princeton, New Jersey, 1975-1976, Center for Advanced Study in Behavioral Sciences, Stanford University, 1979-1980.
United States representative International Congress History Sciences, 1975-1980.
- Food, Power and Community: Essays in the History of Food and Drink
- Did Jesus cook? Why do Australians eat so much sugar and drink lots of cold beer? Do our foods have regional flavours? When and why did Australian diets start to show American influences? Did women in early modern England drink to much? Are meat packers too powerful? What were the consequences of feeding the Irish well when they were convicts in Australia, but allowing them to starve when they obeyed the law at home? The authors of this book ask these questions and many more like them.
- European and Non-European Societies, 1450-1800 (Expanding World) (Pts. 1 & 2)
- Twenty-five articles in two volumes concentrating on the complex interaction of societies and cultures initially alien to one another.
- The Regulation of Madness: The Origins of Incarceration in France (Medicine and Society)
- Robert Castel's work constitutes an important recent body of critical scholarship on psychiatry and its history.
- Food and Drink in History: Selections from the Annales, economies, Societes, Civilisations, Volume 5
- Selections from the Annales magazine, on the topics of economies, societies, and civilizations
1956 - 1957
1957 - 1958
1958 - 1962
1962 - 1965
1975 - 1976
1975 - 1980
1979 - 1980
- show more ...