Party affiliation: Labour Party
- Research fellow Cambridge University, England, 1979-1982, Kings College, London, 1982-1983. Lecturer German History University College, 1983-1995, professor, since 1995.
- A History of Germany 1918-2014: The Divided Nation
- The fourth edition of A History of Germany, 1918-2014: A Divided Nation introduces students to the key themes of 20th century German history, tracing the dramatic social, cultural, and political tensions in Germany since 1918.
- Piety and Politics: Religion and the Rise of Absolutism in England, Wurttemberg and Prussia (Cambridge Paperback Library)
- In the context of continuing debates over Protestantism, capitalism and the absolutist state, this book presents a fresh historical and theoretical analysis of religion and politics in early modern Europe.
- The Divided Nation: A History of Germany, 1918-1990
- Covering all major aspects of German history from the Weimar Republic through reunification, this new book offers a remarkably rich, insightful survey of a difficult and controversial subject.
- The Two Germanies 1945-1990: Problems of Interpretation (Studies in European History)
- Created in the Cold War, the two Germanies - democratic, capitalist West, communist East - have provoked a wide range of controversies and conflicting interpretations amongst historians.
1979 - 1982
1982 - 1983