William Anthony Covino, American English language educator. University Illinois Chicago scholar, 1991, Humanities Institute fellow, 1993. Member Modern Language Association, National Council Teachers of English, International Society History of Rhetoric, Rhetoric Society of America, Association Teachers Advanced Composition.
Assistant professor English San Diego State University, 1981-1984, associate professor English, 1984-1988, University Illinois, Chicago, 1988-1994, professor English, 1994-1998. Professor, chair English Florida Atlantic University, since 1998. Consulting reader College English, College Composition and Communication, Rhetoric Review, Journal Advanced Composition, State University of New York Press, Oxford University Press, since 1984.
Contributing edior The Writing Instructor, Los Angeles, since 1994. Member editorial board Pre/Text: A Journal of Rhetorical Theory, Arlington, Texas, since 1994. Modern Language Association executive committee History of Rhetoric, since 1999.
- Magic, Rhetoric, and Literacy: An Eccentric History of the Composing Imagination (S U N Y Series, Literacy, Culture, and Learning)
- This book presents a selective, introductory reading of key texts in the history of magic from antiquity forward, in order to construct a suggestive conceptual framework for disrupting our conventional notions about rhetoric and literacy.
- THE ART OF WONDERING: A REVISIONIST RETURN TO THE HISTORY OF RHETORIC
- From back cover: How we understand the history of rhetoric determines our attitudes toward literacy, literature and community.
- The Elements of Persuasion
- In order to effectively persuade an audience, you must first understand the power of rhetoric and persuasion.
- FORMS OF WONDERING: A DIALOGUE ON WRITING, FOR WRITERS
- Book by Covino, William
1988 - 1994