Visiting assistant professor University Kansas, Lawrence, 1989-1992. Visiting lecturer University California, Berkeley, 1992-1993, Colorado College, Colorado Springs, 1993-1994, Middle Tennessee State University, Murfreesboro, 1994-1995. Assistant professor Pellissippi State Technology Community College, Knoxville, since 1995.
Consultant National Endowment of the Humanities, 1993, Educational Testing Service, Princeton, New Jersey, since 1992.
- CREATION OF JAZZ
- The Creation of Jazz Music, Race, and Culture in Urban America This fascinating account of how the racial and cultural dynamics of American cities created the music, life, and business that was jazz is the first comprehensive analysis of the role of jazz in its formative years.
- The Creation of Jazz: Music, Race, and Culture in Urban America (Blacks in the New World)
- Explains how jazz was shaped by urbanization, the 'great migration' of southern blacks northward, and the 'jazz image' - dress code, jargon, and use of drugs.
- The American Spiritual Culture: And the Invention of Jazz, Football, and the Movies
- Americans are perhaps the most openly and energetically religious of all the peoples among the developed nations.
1989 - 1992
1992 - 1993
1993 - 1994
1994 - 1995