Teaching assistant in philosophy Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1980-1981. Assistant professor Yale University, New Haven, 1982-1988, associate professor, 1988-1989, Georgetown University, Washington, 1989-1994, professor, since 1994, distinguished professor. Visiting research scholar King's College, Cambridge (England) University, spring 1978.
Visiting professor Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, spring 1995, University Maryland, College Park, spring 1995, 96. Consultant on ethics to undersecretary Department Navy, 1994. Visiting distinguished chair of ethics United States Naval Academy, Annapolis, Maryland, 1997, 98.
Participant numerous conferences, symposia, colloquia. Lecturer, speaker in field.
- Stoic Warriors: The Ancient Philosophy behind the Military Mind
- While few soldiers may have read the works of Epictetus or Marcus Aurelius, it is undoubtedly true that the ancient philosophy known as Stoicism guides the actions of many in the military.
- Making a Necessity of Virtue: Aristotle and Kant on Virtue
- Recent moral philosophy has seen a revival of interest in the concept of virtue, and with it a reassessment of the role of virtue in the work of Aristotle and Kant.
- Stoic Warriors: The Ancient Philosophy behind the Military Mind by Sherman, Nancy [Oxford University Press, 2007] (Paperback) [Paperback]
- Stoic Warriors: The Ancient Philosophy behind the Military Mind by Sherman, N.
- Psychology: From Inquiry to Understanding (paperback) (3rd Edition)
- Provides the framework to go from inquiry to understanding.
1980 - 1981
1982 - 1988
1989 - 1994
- show more ...