- Harlequin Besieged: The Reception of Comedy in Germany during the Early Enlightenment
- This study presents the set of audience expectations for German comedy that obtained within the growing literary public sphere of the 1740's.
- Harlequin besieged: The reception of comedy in Germany during the early Enlightenment (New York University Ottendorfer series)
- The Merchant in German Literature of the Enlightenment (University of North Carolina Studies in the Germanic Languages and Literatures)
- Author: Harlequin Besieged, 1980, The Merchant in German Literature of Enlightenment, 1986, The Problem of Wealth in the Literature of Luther's Germany, 1991, Remarks Concerning the Needed Reform of German Studies in the United States (with A. Leslie Willson), 1993, Sebastian Brant's "The Ship of Fools" in Critical Perspective, 1800-1991, 1993. Contributor articles to professional publications.