Party affiliation: Democrat
- Lecturer San Francisco State University, 1979—1987. Professor music history Ithaca College, New York, since 1987, curator Karel Husa Archive, since 2000.
- Opera in Context: Essays on Historical Staging from the Late Renaissance to the Time of Puccini
- These essays by respected scholars examine representative operatic productions from diverse national schools and periods, together forming a comprehensive history of the staging techniques of opera over the centuries.
- Concert Music of the Twentieth Century: Its Personalities, Institutions, and Techniques
- Written from a multicultural perspective, this unique book traces the history of concert music from the early twentieth century to present day.
- Irvine's Writing About Music: Third Edition