Research fellow Wellcome Institute, London, 1985-1986. Humboldt research fellow Freiburg (Germany) University, 1986-1988. Assistant professor Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1988-1991, Morris Kahn associate professor, 1991-1995, professor, since 1995.
Consultant Network on Mind-Body Interactions, MacArthur Foundation, Chgo, 1992-1999. Fellow Mind-Brain-Behavior Initiative, Harvard University, Cambridge, since 1993, governing board, since 1994, associate director, 1996-1997, co-director, since 1997.
- Reenchanted Science
- By the 1920s in Central Europe, it had become a truism among intellectuals that natural science had "disenchanted" the world, and in particular had reduced humans to mere mechanisms, devoid of higher purpose.
- The Placebo Effect: An Interdisciplinary Exploration
- A mere "symbol" of medicine--the sugar pill, saline injection, doctor in a white lab coat--the placebo nonetheless sometimes produces "real" results.
- Medicine, Mind, and the Double Brain: A Study in Nineteenth-Century Thought
- The Description for this book, Medicine, Mind, and the Double Brain: A Study in Nineteenth-Century Thought, will be forthcoming.
1985 - 1986
1986 - 1988
1988 - 1991