Richard Philip Abels, American history professor, department chairman. Recipient Teaching Excellence award, United States Naval Academy, 1991, Research Excellence award, 2003, Service Excellence award, 2008. Fellow: Royal History Society; member: De Re Military Society Medieval Military History, Medieval Academy American, American History Society, Charles Homer Haskins Society (president 1998—2001).
- Visiting assistant professor Cornell College, Mt Vernon, Iowa, 1981—1982. Assistant professor history United States Naval Academy, Annapols, 1982—1986, associate professor history, 1986—1991, history professor, since 1991, chair, history department, since 2008.
- Alfred the Great: War, Kingship and Culture in Anglo-Saxon England
- This biography of Alfred the Great, king of the West Saxons (871-899), combines a sensitive reading of the primary sources with a careful evaluation of the most recent scholarly research on the history and archaeology of ninth-century England.
- Alfred the Great: War, Kingship and Culture in Anglo-Saxon England 1st edition by Abels, Richard (1998) Paperback
- Alfred the Great: War, Kingship and Culture in Anglo-Saxon England: War, Culture and Kingship in Anglo-Saxon England (The Medieval World) by Richard Abels (30-Sep-1998) Paperback
1981 - 1982
1982 - 1986