- Assistant professor linguistics University Campinas, Sao Paulo, 1983-1986. Assistant, then associate professor linguistics University Pittsburgh, 1988-1992, professor, chairman linguistics, since 1992.
- Wari (Descriptive Grammars)
- This is the first major study of any Chapakuran language and makes an important contribution to linguistic theory.
- A lingua piraha e a teoria da sintaxe: Descricao, perspectivas e teoria (Serie Linguas indigenas) (Portuguese Edition)
- Why There Are No Clitics: An Alternative Perspective on Pronominal Allomorphy (Summer Institute of Linguistics and the University of Texas at Arlington Publications in Linguistics, Publication 123)
1983 - 1986