Barbour, James was born on June 10, 1775 in Barboursville, Virginia, United States. Son of Colonel Thomas and Mary (Thomas) Barbour.
- Doctor of Civil Law (honorary), Oxford (England) University, 1829.
Admitted to Virginia bar, 1794. Supported Virginia resolutions of 1798. Member Virginia House of Delegates, 1798-1812, epeaker.
1809, drew up bill which established Virginia Literary Fund, 1810. Governor Virginia, 1812-1815. Member United States Senate (Democrat) from Virginia, 1815-1825, chairman coms. military affairs, foreign relations.
United States secretary of war, 1825-1828. Appointed United States minister to Great Britain, 1828-1829. President Virginia Agricultural Society.
- Married Lucy Johnson, 1792, 5 children.
father: Colonel Thomas Barbour
mother: Mary (Thomas) Barbour
spouse: Lucy Johnson
|last changed||31/07/2017||view changes|
- Other Names
- Spelling variants for First Name
- Spelling variants for Last/Family/Name
- Middle Name
Mary (Thomas) Barbour
Colonel Thomas Barbour
- Mary (Thomas) Barbour
- Religious beliefs
- Views and World outlook
- Party affiliation description
- Favorite Sports & Clubs
- Favorite Athletes
- Ethnicity details
- Favorite Political Figures
- Favorite Philosophers & Thinkers
- Favorite Music & Bands
- Favorite writers
- Favorite Artists
- Other interests
- Quotes from others about the person
- Physical Characteristics
up Edit Profile