- Fellow Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, since 1964. Junior proctor Cambridge University, 1996-1997.
- The History of the Countryside: The Classic History of Britain's Landscape, Flora and Fauna
- Fields, highways, hedgerows, fens, marshes, rivers, heaths, coasts, woods, and wood pastures: this tribute to the endlessly changing character of Britain's countryside illustrates how it developed over the centuries.
- The Illustrated History of the Countryside
- Oliver Rackham's book tells the many-layered story of the British landscape using landscape photography and a series of photographic essays, describing eight of the author's walks within areas of natural beauty.
- Phoenix: Trees & Woodland in the British Landscape: The Complete History of Britain's Trees, Woods & Hedgerows (Phoenix Press)
- Long accepted as the best work on the subject, this is both a comprehensive history of Britain's woodlands and a field guide that presents trees individually and as part of the landscape.
- The Making of the Cretan Landscape
- This is the first book to help the visitor understand Crete's remarkable landscape, which is just as spectacular as the island's rich archaeological heritage.