- Assistant professor zoology University Washington, Seattle, 1960-1964, associate professor, 1964-1968, professor, 1968-1995, professor emeritus, since 1995. Active Washington State Ecological Commission, Olympia, 1970-1975, ecology advisory committee Environmental Protection Agency, Washington, 1974-1979. Assembly life science NAS/National Research Council, Washington, 1977-1983, environmental studies and toxicology board, 1991—2003.
- Some Adaptations of Marsh-Nesting Blackbirds. (MPB-14) (Monographs in Population Biology)
- The variety of social systems among the New World blackbirds (Family Icteridae) and the structural simplicity of their foraging environment provide excellent opportunities for testing theorics about the adaptive significance of their behavior.
- Life: The Science of Biology
- Co-published by Sinauer Associates, Inc.
- Life: The Science of Biology Volume II & BioPortal Access Card
- Brand new still in wrapper
1st lieutenant United States Army, 1955-1956. Member American Association for the Advancement of Science, National Academy of Sciences, American Institute Biological Sciences (Distinguished Service award 1994), American Ornithologists Union (Brewster award 1976), American Society Naturalists, Animal Behavior Society, Royal Netherlands Academy Arts and Sciences, Organization for Tropical Studies (president 1988-1994), Ecological Society of America (vice president 1975-1976, president 1995-1996, Eminent Ecologist award 1998).