Director National Monument Commission, Livingstone, Zambia, 1964-1972. Assistant director British Institute Eastern Africa, Nairobi, Kenya, 1972-1978. Keeper Glasgow City Museum, Scotland, 1979-1981.
Curator University Museum Archaeology and Anthropology, Cambridge, England, since 1981. Reader in African prehistory University Cambridge, since 1991. Honorary secretary British Institute Eastern Africa, London, 1986-1994, president, since 1994.
Director studies in archeology Gonville and Caius College, 1981.
- Archaeology of Early Northeastern Africa (Studies in African Archaeology)
- Proceedings of the International Symposium organized by the Poznan Archaeological Museum, Institute of Archaeology and Ethnology Polish Academy of Science, Poznan Branch and International Commission of the Later Prehistory of Northeastern Africa held at the Poznan Archaeological Museum, July 14th-18th 2003.
- African Archaeology (Cambridge World Archaeology)
- David Phillipson presents an illustrated account of African prehistory, from the origins of humanity through European colonization in this revised and expanded edition of his original work.
- African Archaeology : Second Edition
- Topics include the emergence of modern humans, the earliest manifestations of human culture, and the origins of African plant and animal domesticates
- San Spirituality: Roots, Expression, and Social Consequences (African Archaeology Series)
- At the intersection between western culture and Africa, we find the San people of the Kalahari desert.
1964 - 1972
1972 - 1978
1979 - 1981