Clinical psychologist City of Chicago Department Mental Health, 1971-1977. Research assistant department psychiatry University Chicago, 1972-1975, research associate, 1975-1977. Executive secretary Science Review Group National Institute of Mental Health, 1977-1979, chief clinical research program Center Studies Mental Health Aging, 1977-1986, chief clinical research program Mental Disorders Aging Research Branch, 1986-1993.
Chief clinical and experimental research program schizophrenia research division clin and treatment research National Institute of Mental Health, National Institutes of Health, 1993-1996. Senior science policy analyst Office of Science Policy, Office of Director National Institutes of Health, since 1996. Instructor clinical geriatric psychiatry Georgetown University School Medicine.
Clinical faculty psychiatry department Navy Medical Command, National Capital Region. Clinical professor department psychiatry Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences. Clinical faculty department psychology George Washington University.
Delegate White House Conference Aging, 1981. Executive secretary Trans-National Institutes of Health Nanotechnology Task Force.
- Psychodynamic Treatment Research: A Handbook for Clinical Practice (Basic Professional Books)
- This comprehensive guide to conducting and understanding psychodynamic research and incorporating findings into clinical practice sifts through state-of-the-art research to show how, why and if psychotherapy works.
- Psychology for Nurses and Health Professionals, Second Edition
- Psychology for Nurses and Health Professionals, Second Edition is an accessible guide providing comprehensive coverage of psychology for nurses and healthcare professionals in training and practice.
- Criminal Psychology: Nature, Nurture, Culture: A Textbook and Practical Reference Guide for Students and Working Professionals in the Fields of Law Enforcement, Criminal J
- Criminal psychology is the application of the principles of normal and abnormal psychology to the understanding, prediction, and control of criminal behavior.
Author (with Gene Cohen): (book) Clinical Aspects of Alzheimer's Disease and Senile Dementia, 1981, Schizophrenia and Aging: Schizophrenia, Paranoia and Schizophreniform Disorders in Late Life, 1988. Author: (with E. Erlenmeyer-Kimling) Life-Span Research on the Prediction of Psychopathology, 1986. Author: (with Lester Luborsky, Jacques Barber and John Doherty) Psychodynamic Research, 1993.
Author: (with Katherine Magruder) Cost-Effectiveness of Psychotherapy, 1999. Member editorial board Journal Educational Gerontology, 1976-1980, Neurobiology of Aging, 1980-1986, Professional Psychology, 1980-1985, Psychoanalytic Psychology, 1983-1988, Clinical Gerontologist, since 1983, American Journal Orthopsychiatry, 1985-1990. Member editorial board: International Psychogeriatrics, since 1989, American Journal Geriatric Psychiatry, 1992-1996.
Contributor articles to professional journals.
Member of American Psychological Association, American Association for the Advancement of Science, Society Psychotherapy Research, Society Neurosci., International Psychogeriatric Association, International Neuropsychol. Society, International Brain Research Organization, International Association Gerontology, Gerontological Society of America, Washington Psychoanalytic Society, District of Columbia Psychological Association, Boston Society Gerontologic Psychiatry, American Psychoanalytic Association, American Orthopsychiat. Association, Pi Lambda Theta, Phi Delta Kappa.