Research associate American Law Institute, New York City, 1953. Associate Covington & Burling, Washington, 1955-1957. Associate professor, then professor law University Minnesota, Minneapolis, 1957-1964.
Professor law University Michigan, Ann Arbor, 1965-1992, Clarence Darrow distinguished university professor, 1992—2004. Professor San Diego University, since 2004. Visiting professor law Harvard University, 1964-1965, San Diego University, 2000-2002.
Distinguished visiting professor law College William and Mary, 1988. Consultant National Advisory Commission Civil Disorders, 1967-1968, National Commission Causes and Prevention Violence, 1968-1969. Member advisory committee model code pre-arraignment procedure American Law Institute, 1965-1975.
- Supplement to the Constitutional Law: Cases, Comments, Questions, 10th Edition
- This theoretically balanced; mainstream text is noteworthy for its use of SQ3R, built-in student study guide, and affordable price.
- Criminal Procedure And The Constitution: Leading Supreme Court Cases And Introductory Text 2004 (American Casebook Series)
- CRIMINAL PROCEDURE AND THE CONSTITUTION: LEADING SUPREME COURT CASES AND INTRODUCTORY TEXT 2004 (AMERICAN CASEBOOK SERIES)
- Criminal Procedure and the Constitution: Leading Supreme Court Cases and Introductory Text (American Casebook Series)
- This course book is the work of nationally renowned experts on the subject of constitutional criminal procedure.
- Criminal Procedure and the Constitution: Leading Supreme Court Cases and Introductory Text, 2003 (American Casebook)
- This coursebook is the work of nationally renowned experts on the subject of constitutional-criminal procedure.