Party affiliation: Republican
Bachelor of Science in Political Science, University Oregon, 1955. Postgraduate (Fulbright scholar), University Southampton, England, 1956. Bachelor of Laws, Harvard University, 1959.
Postgraduate research, Oxford University, 1989. Doctor of Laws (honorary), University Helsinki, Finland, 1990. Doctor of Laws (honorary), University Göttingen, Germany, 1994.
Associate King, Miller, Anderson, Nash and Yerke, Portland, Oregon, 1959-1960. Assistant professor law University Oregon, 1960-1963, associate professor, 1964-1968. Visiting associate professor law Stanford University, 1963-1964.
Professor University Oregon, 1968-1969, Cornell University, 1969-1976, McRoberts research professor law, since 1976. Summer visiting professor Indiana University, 1969, University Michigan, 1974, University Warwick, England, 1975, Australia National University, University Sydney, Australia, 1977. Visiting Fulbright professor University Vienna, Austria, 1985.
Goodhart visiting professor Cambridge University, England, 1991-1992. H. Hurst Eminent visiting scholar University Florida, 1995. Research fellow Merton College, oxford University, 1981-1982, Exeter College, Oxford University, 1988-1989.
Consultant Cornell Law Project in publication schools, New York, 1969-1974, Law in American Society project Chicago Board Education, 1968-1969. Instructor National Academy Judicial Education, since 1976. Member faculty Salzburg Seminar in American Studies, 1990.
Official advisor Drafting commission on New Civil Code for Russian Federation, 1994-1996.
- Form and Function in a Legal System: A General Study
- This book addresses three major questions about law and legal systems: (1) What are the defining and organizing forms of legal institutions, legal rules, interpretive methodologies, and other legal phenomena? (2) How does frontal and systematic focus on these forms advance understanding of such phenomena? (3) What credit should the functions of forms have when such phenomena serve policy and related purposes, rule of law values, and fundamental political values such as democracy, liberty, and justice? The answers not only provide articulate conversancy with the subject but also reveal insights into the nature of law itself, as well as allied subjects.
- Contract Law and Theory: Selected Provisions, Restatement of Contracts and Uniform Commercial Code
- This companion volume to Contract Law and Theory includes: • Restatement (Second) of Contracts; • Uniform Commercial Code, Article 1 (General Provisions, Current Version); • Uniform Commercial Code, Article 1 (General Provisions, 2001 Revised Version); • Uniform Commercial Code, Article 2 (Sales, Current Version); and • Uniform Commercial Code, Article 2 (Sales, 2003 Proposed Amendments)
- The Uniform Commercial Code Made Easy
- The Uniform Commercial Code Made Easy marks the first time in the history of legal education that a novel has been used as a vehicle for delivering the content of a substantive body of law; in this case, a pervasive statutory scheme The Uniform Commercial Code, law in all fifty states.
- Contract Law and Theory: Selected Provisions: Restatement of Contracts and Uniform Commercial Code (2013)
- This new edition of the Document Supplement (which can be used with any contracts book) contains Articles 1 and 2 of the UCC, selected provisions (with Official Comments) of the Restatement (Second) of Contracts, and the CISG.
Member American Law Institute, Association American Law Schools (chairman section jurisprudence 1972-1973), American Society Political and Legal Philosophy (vice president 1976-1978), International Academy Company Law, International Association of Legal and Social Philosophy American Society (president 1989-1991), Austrian Academy of Sciences, Phi Beta Kappa.