Attorney United States Department Justice, 1960-1961, Special Study of Securities Markets and Office Special Counsel on Investment Company Act Matters, United States Securities and Exchange Commission, 1961-1964. Assistant United States attorney Southern District New York, 1964-1969. Associate Baker & McKenzie, New York City, 1969-1971, partner, 1971—2010, of counsel, since 2010.
Member international advisory council World Arbitration Institute, 1984-1987. Advisory board Institute for Transnat. Arbitration, since 1988.
Chairman United States Iranian Claimants Committee, 1982—1990. Advisory board World Arbitration and Mediation Report, 1993-2008, co-chairman, 2002-2008. Board advisory to Corporate Counsel's International Adviser, since 1995.
Founder Leading Arbitrators' Symposium on Conduct International Arbitration, since 2005. Estatement 3rd Edition United States Law International Commercial Arbitration, since 2009, member advisors committee Restatement Law Third United States Law International Commercial Arbitration, 2009. Lecturer in field.
- Take the Witness: The Experts Speak on Cross Examination
- This volume is designed for educating lawyers who are starting their trial practice and by suggesting to seasoned ones more effective approaches.
- Take the Witness: Cross Examination in International Arbitration
- This volume is the go to reference for the arbitration practitioner who needs to master the art of cross-examination in the international arena.
- Take the Witness: The Experts Speak on Cross Examination by Lawrence W. Newman, Rikki Klieman (2006) Hardcover
Fellow College Commercial Arbitrators. Member American Law Institute (member consultative group for international commercial arbitration), Federal Bar Council, New York City Bar Association (committee on arbitration and alternative dispute resolution 1991-1994, chairman committee international commercial disputes, 2004-2008, chairman 2003-2007, task force international legal practice since 2008, chairman since 2010), American Arbitration Association (Corporate Counsel committee 1987—1995, panel international arbitrators), United States Council International Business, International Institute Prevention and Resolution Disputes (chairman arbitration committee since 2008), International Arbitration Club New York (steering committee member), American Bar Association, International Bar Association, New York State Bar Association, Union Internationale des Avocats, American Society International Law, American Branch of the International Law Association (chairman committee on international judicial integrity), American Foreign Law Association.