- Associate Fish & Neave, New York City, 1964-1970, junior partner, 1970-1971, managing partner, 1985-1991, partner, 1972—2004, Ropes & Gray, since 2005. Lecturer law University Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, 1980-1989, adjunct professor, since 1990, New York University Law School, since 2003.
- Principles of Patent Law (University Casebooks)
- The Fourth Edition, with its new author team, is recommitted to the book's original purpose and design by focusing on the following core features: Up to date, presenting major contrasting views on key issuesAmple explanatory text and notes to best serve the book's dual role as a casebook for students and a treatise for practitionersSIDE BARS written especially for the book by prominent practitioners, government officials, and academics, an innovation now in wide use that began with this bookEmphasis on concrete applications at the practical level and economic analysis at the theoretical level.
- Kieff, Newman, Schwartz and Smith's Principles of Patent Law, 5th (University Casebook Series) (English and English Edition)
- The Fifth Edition builds on the strengths of prior editions in providing a unique combination of the law and economic theory of patents with extensive and diverse legal analyses and practitioner insights.
- Principles of Patent Law: Case and Document Supplement With Technology Primer (University Casebook) (University Casebook Series)
- This supplement updates Chisum, Nard, Schwartz, Newman and Kieff's Principles of Patent Law, a casebook that covers all major aspects of patent law.
- Principles of Patent Law: Cases and Materials (University Casebook Series)
- The book presents the patent law process sequentially, while highlighting the legal history and discussing the intricacies of law and technology.
Vice-chairman Junior Yacht Racing Association of Long Island Sound, 1985-1988. 1st lieutenant United States Army, Signal Corps, 1957-1959. Member Association of Bar of City of New York, American Intellectual Property Lawyers Association, New York Intellectual Property Lawyers Association (president 1999-1900), Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (member corporation since 2003, trustee since 2006), American College Trial Lawyers, American Bar Foundation, American Law Institute, Order of Coif, New York Yacht Club, Riverside Yacht Club, Cruising Club of America.