Professor; Doctor of Medicine Science since 1919. Full member, USSR Academy of Medical Science, since 1945. Corresponding member, Ukrainia Academy of Sciences, since 1939.
Head,Department of Etiology and Pathogenesis of Tumors, Institute of Experimental Pathology and Therapy of Cancer, USSR Academy of Medical Science, since 1954. Honoured Worker of Science of Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic since 1947. 1954 organized Dept, of Etiology and Pathogenesis of Tumors at Institute of Experimental Pathology and Therapy of Cancer, USSR Academy of Medical Science.
Prior to that, with wife S. V. Bonevolenskaya, carried out important research on cultivation of leukemia cells and development of tubercular tumors in vitro. In Kharkov carried out research on prolonged cultivation of humor tumors and determined possibility of a far-reaching differentiation of tumor cells. In Kiev, with S. V. Bonevolenskaya, managed to induce malignization of connective tissue cells in cultures by using carcinogenic hydrocarbons and milk factor, and then extracts from tumor tissue.
Finally, using tissue cultures and electron microscopy, they discovered presence of virus-like corpuscles in certain human tumor cultures. Со-Editor, “Medychny zhurnal” (Medical Journal) of Ukrainia Academy of Sciences. Member, Editor Board, journal “Voprosy onkologii” (Problems of Oncology).
Main works deal with study of pathological processes by means of tissue cultures outside the body. 1912-1934 laboratory Assistant, prosector, lecturer, then Professor, and Head, Chair of Pathology, Tomsk University. 1934-1941 Head, Experimental Department, X-Ray Oncological Institute, Kharkov.
1941-1954 at Bogomolets Institute of Clinical Physiology, Ukrainia Academy of Sciences, Kiev.