- The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey
- At once an incredible adventure narrative and a penetrating biographical portrait, The River of Doubt is the true story of Theodore Roosevelt’s harrowing exploration of one of the most dangerous rivers on earth.
- O, Appalachia: Artists of the Southern Mountains
- Readers are given the opportunity both to see the art and to meet the artist, sharing their experiences, memories, and feelings.
- The pig with one nostril
- The pig with one nostril discovers he has been missing a great many of the sounds, sights, and smells of the world.
- Journey to the Cape
- New York: Grove Press.
Born January 10, 1919