(It is located in the Marble Hill neighborhood of the Bron...)
It is located in the Marble Hill neighborhood of the Bronx, New York City. The church was designed by noted architect Alexander McMillan Welch and built in 1897. It is a two-story, Shingle style church on a raised basement. It has a cross-gable roof topped by a small cupola, a rose window on the front facede, and features a pronounced bell tower with an open belfry and balconies.
After graduating at Lake Forest (111.) Academy entered Columbia University Architectural School where he completed a three-year course. Later (in 1889), he continued his studies in Atliers of the Ecole des Beaux Arts in France, and traveled ex-tensively on the continent before returning to this country.
In 1895 Mr. Welch joined the late Bowen B. Smith and George W. Provot in organizing the firm of Welch, Smith & Provot, and carried on practice in that association until 1908, afterwards maintained an independent office. Equally successful in both public and residential work, he designed St. Stephen's Church, Kingsbridge, New York, and a number of private homes on East 80th Street and Fifth Avenue. During the mid 'thirties Mr. Welch was appointed in charge of restoration work on several historic homes in the New York area, including “Hamilton Grange” once the home of Alexander Hamilton, and the old Dyckman house on Broadway at 204th Street, of Dutch gambrel type dating from the late eighteenth century.
A man of high integrity and an esteemed member of the profession, he maintained office headquarters at #15 East 71st Street for a number of years. There he installed his Library, one of the largest and most important collection of architectural works in New York.
During his professional career he was a member of the New York Chapter, A.IA, Arts Society of Architects, and the Architectural League of New York.
Welch had married to Fannie Fredericka Dyckman on June 2, 1896.