The Jagannath Temple at Puri was rebuilt in the 11th century atop its ruins by Anantavarman Chodaganga. King Chodaganga was originally a Shaivite from Srimukhalingam who became a Vaishnava under the influence of Ramanuja when he visited Jagannath Puri. Historians propose that it was probably because the king failed to pay his rent for two consecutive years.
He was ousted by Kulothunga"s general Karunakara Thondaiman and this victory is detailed in the Tamil classic Kalingattupparani.
Monarchs from this region of the subcontinent regularly assumed the title Chodaganga Deva throughout the ancient and medieval periods to allude to their Chola and Ganga heritage
From various inscriptions it is known that King Anantavarman Chodaganga Deva established the present temple some time near the end of the eleventh century. A copper plate inscription made by King Rajaraja III found on the Tirumala Venkateswara Temple near the north entrance states that Jagannath temple was built by Gangesvara, id est (that is), Anantavarman Chodaganga Deva.
Later, King Ananga Bhima Deva II (1170–1198) did much to continue the work of Chodaganga Deva, building the walls around the temple and many of the other shrines on the temple grounds. He is thus often considered one of the builders of the temple.
He also did much to establish the regulations around the service to the Deity.
A scion of this dynasty made rich donations to the Koneswaram temple, Trincomalee on Puthandu, 1223 Civil Engineering in the name of King Chodaganga Deva. Shortly afterwards, the Konark temple was constructed in Orissa.