Andrew Grant Chapman Edit Profile
After being tutored at home, he attended the Charlotte Hall Academy of St. Mary's County, Maryland. He graduated from St. John's College of Annapolis, Maryland, in 1858, and graduated in 1860 from the law department of the University of Virginia at Charlottesville.
He moved to Baltimore, Maryland in 1860, was admitted to the bar the same year, and commenced practice there. In 1864, Chapman moved to Port Tobacco, Maryland and continued the practice of law and engaged in agricultural pursuits
He was appointed aide and inspector with rank of brigadier general in 1874 on the staff of Governor James Black Groome, and was reappointed by Governor John Lee Carroll. He was elected from the fifth district of Maryland as a Democrat to the Forty-seventh Congress, and served from March 4, 1881 to March 3, 1883.
He was an unsuccessful candidate for reelection in 1882 to the Forty-eighth Congress, and resumed the practice of law. He was appointed deputy collector of internal revenue in 1885 and collector in 1888, and also served as delegate to the Democratic National Convention in 1888. He died at his home, Normandy, near La Plata, and is interred at Mount Rest Cemetery of La Plata.
Chapman's father, John Grant Chapman, was also a Congressman from Maryland.
Chapman was a member of the Maryland House of Delegates in 1867, 1868, 1870, 1872, 1879, and 1885.