Antoine-Frangois-Jean Claudet was a student of photography pioneer Louis Daguerre.
Antoine-Frangois-Jean Claudet worked with and later improved upon processes taught by Daguerre. Claudet was in the banking business in the years around 1819, moving into glass-making as director of a firm from about 1825 to 1838. He opened the first daguerreotype portrait studio in London with Richard Beard in 1840. In 1851 he opened his "Temple of Photography."
He was appointed official photographer to Queen Victoria in 1853. Working chiefly with daguerreotypes, particularly as used in stereoscope, Claudet made great use of painted backgrounds, dummied curtained windows and other props. He hand-colored much of his work, using a combination of dry color mixed with finely powdered gum.
In 1863 Antoine-Frangois-Jean Claudet was awarded Chevalier of the Légion d'Honneur by the Emperor of France.