Specialist in ancicnt-Russia archeology and hist, of Russ, feudalism. For about 30 years has directed Novgorod Archeological Expedition, Institute of Archeology, USSR Academy of Science, which in 1951 discovered ancient Russ, birch-bark documents. Directed archeological investigations during construction of Moscow Metro.
Initiated introduction of an archeology course in Soviet high school. Chief Editor, journal “Sovetskaya arkheologiya” (Soviet Archeology). Since 1956 Deputy Chairman, USSR National Committee of Historians.
1958 attended Anglo-Soviet and Franco-Soviet Conferences of Historians in London and Paris. 1960 his paper “Novgorod the Great in the 11-15th c.” was read at 11th International Congress of History Science in Stockholm.