(Harkness Memorial State Park is a 230-acre (93 ha) Connec...)
Harkness Memorial State Park is a 230-acre (93 ha) Connecticut state park and botanical garden located on Long Island Sound in the town of Waterford, Connecticut. The state park comprises Eolia, a 42-room Renaissance Revival mansion with formal gardens and greenhouses.
After receiving his initial training at the Minnesota State Normal School at Winona and in architects’ offices in Minnesota, he entered the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1884.And the following year he traveled alone to Europe on a Rotch Traveling Scholarship. He spent the 1889–90 academic year studying in the ateliers of Honoré Daumet and Charles Girault in Paris, after which he visited Germany, Belgium, Spain, and Italy.
Upon his return to New York Mr. Lord entered McKim, Mead & White s New York office, and in the following years worked on plans for the Brooklyn Institute of Arts and Letters, new buildings at Columbia University, and the New York Metropolitan Club. In 1894 Mr. Lord left McKim’s office, and with Washington Hull and Monroe Hewlett as co-partners, established an office in the city, and during the next several years the firm of Lord, Hull & Hewlett was active in designing various public buildings in the greater New York area. Among the noted examples of these should be named the Stapleton school on Staten Island; Parish House of Grace Church in Brooklyn; Car¬negie Library at Far Rockaway; the Westchester County Court House at White Plains and in Brooklyn the Bedford Branch of the Public Library; St. Jude’s Church, and the Masonic Temple, the latter designed in association with the firm of Pell & Corbett .
Mr. Lord and his partners were also architects of public school buildings in a number of eastern cities, and in New York designed for their client, the former Senator William A. Clark, his Fifth Avenue residence at the corner of 77th Street, and in addition many other urban and country homes.
During one period of his career taught at Columbia Universtiy as Professor and Director of the School of Architecture.
A long time member of the New York Chapter, A. I. A. and Fellow of the Institute after 1903, he was well known professionally.
In 1887 he married Margaret Gage (or Gaige) of Winona.