Cristiano Ronaldo dos Santos Aveiro, known as Cristiano Ronaldo, is a Portuguese footballer who plays as a forward for Spanish club Real Madrid and captains the Portugal national team.
Ronaldo was born in Santo António, a neighbourhood of Funchal, Madeira, the youngest child of Maria Dolores dos Santos Aveiro, a cook, and José Dinis Aveiro, a municipal gardener. His second given name "Ronaldo" was chosen after then-U.S. president Ronald Reagan, who was his father's favourite actor. He has one older brother, Hugo, and two older sisters, Elma and Liliana Cátia. His great-grandmother Isabel da Piedade was from Cape Verde. The family was staunchly Catholic and lived in poverty. Ronaldo had no toys and shared a room with his brother and sisters.
Ronaldo was popular with other pupils at school, but he was expelled after he threw a chair at his teacher. Ronaldo later said of the incident, "He disrespected me". At age 14, Ronaldo agreed with his mother to focus entirely on football. He states, "When I got to 14 I felt I had the potential. I thought I was maybe good enough at that time to play semi-professionally"
He became the only player ever to play for Sporting's under-16, under-17, under-18, B-team, and the first team, all within one season.
It was through his dad's work as an equipment manager at a boy's club that Ronaldo was first introduced to the game of soccer. By the time he was 10 years old, he was already recognized as a phenomenon—a kid who ate, slept and drank the game. "All he wanted to do as a boy was play football," his godfather, Fernao Sousa, recalled for British reporters, adding, "He loved the game so much he'd miss meals or escape out of his bedroom window with a ball when he was supposed to be doing his homework."
By his early teens, Ronaldo's talent and legend had grown considerably. After a stint with Nacional da liha da Madeira, he signed with Sporting Portugal in 2001. That same year, at the tender age of 16, Ronaldo turned heads with a mesmerizing performance against Manchester United, wowing even his opponents with his footwork and deft skill. He made such an impression that a number of United players asked their manager to try and sign the young player. It wasn't long before the club paid Ronaldo's team more than £12 million for his services - a record fee for a player of his age.
Success with Manchester United
Ronaldo, however, did not disappoint. He showed his promise early on in the 2004 FA Cup final, scoring the team's first three goals and helping them capture the championship. In 2008, a year after signing a five-year, £31 million contract, Ronaldo again justified the high tab when he put together one of the club's finest seasons in history, setting a franchise record for goals scored (42), and earning himself the FIFA World of the Year honor. In all, Ronaldo helped steer Manchester United to three premier league titles.
But Ronaldo's time in England was marred by his mother's 2007 struggle with breast cancer as well as his father's death from alcohol-related illness. The latter was especially hard for Ronaldo as the two had been close, and the young athlete had often pushed for his father to enter rehab and address his drinking. His father, however, never accepted the offer.
Departure to Real Madrid
As lauded as Ronaldo was on the field for Manchester United, his commitment to the club came under constant question. Speculation swirled that he wanted to play elsewhere. So in 2009, when Spanish soccer club Real Madrid agreed to pay United a record $131 million for the chance to sign him, nobody was all that surprised to see Ronaldo leave United.
"I know that they are going to demand a lot of me to be successful at the club and I know that I'm going to have much more pressure than at Manchester United because I was there for many years," Ronaldo told reporters. "But it means a new challenge and is going to help me be the best footballer."
In addition to his FIFA World Player of the year award, Ronaldo has also won the coveted Ballon d'OR, the Golden Boot, and been named the UEFA Club Forward of the Year, among other honors during the course of his career.
Ronaldo is a Catholic. At times, he considers himself highly religious, saying things like:
I collect crucifix necklaces – it’s because of my relationship with God. I always had a gift. I was shown the skills and I am a fantastic footballer but I do believe God gave me the gift.
Other times, he’s admits he’s not the most religious football player, saying:
I am religious, in my own way, but not as much as Kaká for example.
So, marginally religious at least, I suppose. His family is certainly religious. Reports abound about his strongly Catholic family’s disappointment over Ronaldo’s decision to obtain sole custody of his son–a job they feel is best suited for a mother and a father. But at least he had his son baptized.
Ronaldo seems rather unconcerned with politics–either in his home country of Portugal, or his adopted countries of the United Kingdom or Spain. The closest he’s gotten to being political, as far as I can tell, is playing in a football match for Real Madrid against Barcelona amidst cries for Catalonian independence. But he didn’t make any comments on the situation.
In the non-controversial realm, Ronaldo supports various charities for children, AIDS research, disaster relief and education.
But he might just do it because he can, or it makes him look good. He once said:
My family comes first – my son is the most important thing in my life. After that, it’s the football that matters most to me. Money comes after that.
Notice that social justice or world peace or anything like that is even mentioned. But hey, that’s the life of one of world’s greatest football players.
I would be very proud if, one day, I'm held in the same esteem as George Best or Beckham. It's what I'm working hard towards.
Lots of young players have triumphed at United, so why can't it happen to me? I'm not worried I'm young - it's an incentive to do the best I can.
The No 7 shirt is an honor and a responsibility. I hope it brings me a lot of luck.
There is no harm in dreaming of becoming the world's best player. It is all about trying to be the best. I will keep working hard to achieve it but it is within my capabilities.
I've never tried to hide the fact that it is my intention to be the best
Maybe they hate me because I'm too good!
Cristiano Ronaldo dos Santos Aveiro was born on February 5, 1985, in Madeira, Portugal to Maria Dolores dos Santos Aveiro and José Diniz Aveiro. Cristiano has an elder brother, Hugo and two elder sisters, Elma and Liliana Cátia. His name was inspired by the former US-president, Ronald Reagan, whom his father was influenced by.
Nicknames -Cris, Ron, Ronnie, The Sultan Of The Stepover, CR7.
Height 6' 0¾" (1,85 m)
Zodiac sign - Aquarius
Ronaldo grew up in a largely working class neighborhood, his home a small tin roofed shack that overlooked the ocean. His early life was shaped by hardship; his father, a gardener, often drank too much, and eventually died from kidney problems in 2005. To help keep the children fed, and maintain some financial stability, Ronaldo's mother worked as a cook and cleaning person.
“This is the real me. I am a humble person, a feeling person. A person who cares about others, who wants to help others. And I want to be involved in doing that for many, many, many years.”
“So I’m proud of what I have done. But I don’t need to come out and say ‘I helped this, I helped that’ because God knows everything and I feel very comfortable about that.”
“Exactly. All around the world I have to deal with my fame. I can’t go anywhere without being recognised, which can be very hard — but doing this, I can use that fame. It is such a great feeling."
“This is what I want to do when I finish my career, to do something in the future even bigger than this.”
- Became the most expensive teenager in Britain in 2003.
- Wears the number 7 shirt.
- Has appeared in a Suzuki TV advert.
- He was the first ever Portugese Manchester United player.
- Has been criticized many times for diving in the penalty area.
- Has appeared in several Nike adverts.
- He is a very big idol in his hometown Madeira.
- His father passed away while he was on international duty in Russia.
- Drives a silver Porsche.
- Cristiano drives a red Ferrari 435.
- His Store CR7 Run By his older sister Elma was robbed by Porto Fans.
- Not only does he know Portuguese but Spanish and English, as well.
- A new waxwork of Cristiano was unveiled at Madame Tussauds on June 9, 2010 in London, England.
- Serves as a captain of the Portuguese national team.
- At the age of 15 Ronaldo was diagnosed with a racing heart, a condition that might have forced him to give up playing football. He had an operation in which a laser was used to cauterise the area of his heart that was causing the problem. The surgery took place in the morning and Ronaldo was discharged from hospital by the end of the afternoon; he resumed training only a few days later.
- In 2006, Ronaldo opened a fashion boutique under the name "CR7" (his initials and shirt number) on the island of Madeira, Portugal. Ronaldo expanded his business with a second clothes boutique in Lisbon in 2008. The stores include diamond-studded belts, jeans with leather pockets and patented buckled loafers.
- Ronaldo faced personal challenges in 2007 after his mother was diagnosed with breast cancer.
- Ronaldo announced that he had become a father on July 3, 2010. His official Facebook and Twitter pages reference the birth of his son and request privacy. The child, named Cristiano is in full custody of Ronaldo. The mother is a waitress that he once dated for a short time and the sons name is Cristiano Ronaldo Jr.
- There is a museum named Museu CR7 in his hometown Funchal, Portugal, dedicated to him which contains his trophies, rare photographs, medals and lots more related to the player.
- In December 2011, Cristiano launched an iPhone game called Heads Up with Cristiano. The game is created by developer RockLive.
- Cristiano Ronaldo is fast, really fast. He recently defeated a Spanish sprinter Angel David Rodriguez in the zigzag spring challenge by half a minute while he narrowly lost against professional sprinter in straight line.
- When Ronaldo jumps, he generates 5G of G-force on take-off - this is five times the power of a cheetah in full flight. This enables him to reach heights of 44cm in the air from a standing start and 78cm with a run-up - 7cm more than the average NBA player.
- Cristiano Ronaldo's body fat is about 10 percent which makes him the perfect machine for fast sprinting and athletic courses.
- His free kick speed is about 13.1 kmph, which is compared roughly with the speed of a space shuttle while launching.
- Ronaldo lifts around 23,055 kg of weight during a training session, which is a total of 16 Toyota Prius cars. The guy just continues to amaze us.
- Ronaldo also does not smoke nor does he have any tattoos on his body which he chose not to get any because he regularly donates blood.
- He earns a lot of this from product endorsements and sponsorships. Some of the products that is a spokesmodel for include Emporio Armani men's underwear and jeans, and Nike. He has also signed other sponsorships from Coca-Cola, Castrol, Konami, Banco Espirito Santo, Motorola, Jacob & Co., Herbalife, KFC, Tag Heuer and Fly Emirates.
- Cristiano Ronaldo's net worth is $250 million.
"There have been a few players described as the new over the years, but this is the first time it's been a compliment to me."
Sir Alex Ferguson:
"After we played Sporting last week, the lads in the dressing room talked about him constantly, and on the plane back from the game they urged me to sign him. That's how highly they rated him."
"He has magic in his boots. The first thing you notice about him is that he is incredibly quick and very, very powerful for such a young man. He has great, close control and his technique is excellent. He believes he can do anything with the ball, and that confidence makes him very special indeed."
English football manager Ian Holloway:
"The kid makes you sick. He looks the part, he walks the part, he is the part. He's six-foot something, fit as a flea, good-looking - he's got to have something wrong with him.... Hopefully he's hung like a hamster! That would make us all feel better!"
"He is the best. The best in the world, yes. Probably the best ever. I saw Maradona a couple of times. I never saw Pele. But Cristiano is amazing. This man is the best... Cristiano is a goals machine. He is an incredible player. He is like Zidane, there will never be another Ronaldo."
"Ronaldo has come through for the past two or three years and is the best in Europe. I think at the moment no doubt Ronaldo is the best player."
"When Cristiano Ronaldo gets the ball, you can just leave him to it while he beats player after player."
"He does things I have never seen from any other player and it really is marvellous to watch. It takes a great player to grab the bull by the horns and make things happen, but he has done it repeatedly."
"Ronaldo can do whatever he wants as a footballer. There are some things he does with the ball that make me touch my head and wonder how he did it."
"Cristiano Ronaldo is priceless."
"For me he is the best player in the world. A machine. Incomparable."
"He makes the most difficult plays look easy."
"Cristiano is unique for his talent and professionalism – he is also extraordinarily consistent… [He] is an outstanding professional. He's committed to the team and the club, he doesn't talk much, but he is a leader."
"In the time I've been playing with Ronnie, the one thing I've noticed about him is that he can't walk past his reflection without admiring it, even if we're about to play a game of football."
"At the moment, there is no better player than Cristiano. He was one of those who looked out for me at first, he's a really nice guy."
"Ronaldo is one of the fittest athletes in the world."”
Sport & Clubs
Bacalhau a Braz,
Hobbies and interests; collecting cars, music, fashion.
Music & Bands
Brazillian music, Elton John, George Michael, Phil Collins
Ronaldo has previously dated English models Alice Goodwin and Gemma Atkinson. He has a son ( Cristiano Ronaldo Junior ). His son born on June 17, 2010.