Bachelor of Science in Chemistry, University of Wisconsin, 1953; Doctor of Philosophy in Physical Chemistry, University of Wisconsin, 1957.
Postdoctoral research fellow, University of Wisconsin, Madison, 1957-1958;
fellow, Mellon Institute, Pittsburgh, 1958-1967;
associate professor materials engineering, U. Pittsburgh, 1967-1974;
professor, U. Pittsburgh, 1974-1993;
professor emeritus, U. Pittsburgh, since 1993. Adjunct professor of chemistry Carnegie-Mellon U., Pittsburgh, since 1987. Member of advisory bd.Jour.
Polymer Science, 1991-1998.
Fellow American Physical Society. Member American Chemical Society (George Stafford Whitby award for distinguished teaching & research Rubber Division 1993).
Married Patricia Lenore Filkins, October 29, 1955. Children: Mary, Joseph, Caroline, Daniel, John, David, Anne.