Everardus Bogardus Edit Profile
Attended U. Leyden (Holland), 1626-1630.
Bogardus was, in fact, the second clergyman in all of the New Netherlands. (The slightly obscure early history of the Dutch colony meant that he was often considered the first clergyman)
He entered Leyden University for the study of theology in July, 1627. As seemed to be the custom among young Dutch theologians at the time, he "Latinized" his name to Everardus Bogardus, and from 1631 until the present day he is known in history and appears in all records in that manner.
Soon after he was commissioned by the "Lords Directors of the Honorable West India Company of the United Provinces of the Netherlands," to minister to the spiritual needs of the colony at New Amsterdam. Bogardus arrived in New Netherlands in 1633, sailing from Amsterdam on the ship "Zoutberg". Around the time of the Wappinger Wars conflict with the local Indians, the church was rebuilt in Fort Amsterdam.
A humorous anecdote about the building of this church contends that
Governor Kieft decided that there should be of stone, and that it should be built inside the fort. There was a question as how to secure the money to build it. Kieft gave a small amount, as did other colonists, but there was not enough.
Fortunately, just at this time, a daughter of Bogardus, the minister, was married. At the wedding, when the guests were in good humor, a subscription-list was handed out. Next day some of the subscribers were sorry they had agreed to give so much, but the Governor accepted no excuses and insisted on the money.
It was collected, and the church was built. He frequently was combative with the Director-General of the New Netherlands and their management of the Dutch West India Company colony, going up against the often-drunk Wouter van Twiller and famously denouncing Willem Kieft from the pulpit during the colony's disastrously bloody Kieft's War (1643–1645). He stepped up his denouncements when Kieft tried to place a tax on beer.
Bogardus himself has been described as a stout and rarely sober individual. Popular sources describe Bogardus. "on his way to Holland on a mission relating to his church.
The people of New Amsterdam mourned for their minister, but there was little sorrow felt for the Governor who had plunged the colony in war by his obstinate and cruel temper."
Bogardus Place is located in the Washington Heights section of New York City borough of Manhattan (ZIP code 10040). It was opened in 1912, and runs one block (6417 feet) between Hillside Avenue and Ellwood Street, and is named for the family who previously owned much of the land that forms both Fort Tryon Park, and the Fort Tryon section.
Prominent members of that family included James Bogardus, who pioneered in the construction of cast-iron buildings during the 1840s.
Married Anneke Jans, 1638.