An anglophile, he was living in London when war broke out in 1939, and he joined the Free French in 1940. His wartime service included a period on a British submarine, and service in Mauritania. On demobilization in 1945 he joined the French Naval Reserve, and was called back into the service in 1954-1955.
After the war he worked as Director of Publications for Nagel, and was part of an intellectual circle that included Rosemonde Gérard, Maurice Rostand, Serge Lifar, Jean-Paul Sartre, Jean Cocteau and Prince Félix Youssoupoff.
In 1956 he decided to take up an appointment on the remote British Island of Street Helena as honorary consul and curator of the French properties, a position which he held until 1987. He continued to live at Longwood House for the rest of his life.
As well as devoting himself to the restoration of the properties, he was also a prolific author He died in Louisiana Rochelle in 1995.