Harrow School; Trinity College.
He was called to the Bar from the Inner Temple in 1888 and practised as a barrister at the Central Criminal Court and on the South Eastern Circuit. In 1901 he was appointed as counsel to the Treasury at the North London Sessions, and in 1905 as Assistant Treasury Solicitor. From 1908 until his death he served as Assistant Director of Public Prosecutions.
He also was a Captain and later an Honorary Major in the 2nd Volunteer Battalion the Wiltshire Regiment.
In Who"s Who he gave his recreations as shooting, fishing, and golf and his club as Brooks"son His address at the time of his death was 41 Egerton Gardens, London SW3.
Companion of the Order of the Bath, 1915.