Harry L. Gandy Edit Profile
In 1901, he graduated from Tri-State College in nearby Angola, Indiana.
By 1907, Gandy had moved to Rapid City, South Dakota. While in South Dakota, he entered the newspaper business and worked as publisher of the Wasta, South Dakota Gazette from 1910 until 1918. He also owned a working cattle ranch from 1910 until 1945.
In 1911, Gandy was appointed to South Dakota's State Senate. Two years later, he was appointed by Woodrow Wilson as the receiver of public moneys of the United States land office in Rapid City, a position he held until he was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives. He served as South Dakota's Third District representative from March 4, 1915 to March 3, 1921.
He lost his bid for re-election to a fourth term. , Gandy took up agricultural pursuits and returned to his Wasta ranch. In 1923, Gandy moved to Washington, DC after he was hired as a lobbyist as the executive secretary of the National Coal Association (NCA), a position he held until 1930.
He left Pittson to become chairman of the Bituminous Coal Producers Board in Cincinnati, Ohio between 1937 and 1940. He worked his remaining years until retirement in executive advisory roles for the Elk River Coal & Lumber Co. and Buffalo Creek & Gauley Railroad Co. in Widen, West Virginia. Gandy died on August 15, 1957 while retired in Los Gatos, California.
He was interred in Mountain View Cemetery in Rapid City, South Dakota.
Member South Dakot Senate, 1911. Member 64th and 66th Congresses (1915-1921) from 3d South Dakot District.
Married Frances Keiser, of Rapid City, South Dakot, October 30, 1909.